Monday, March 4, 2024

Group Meeting #1


Welcome back everyone, today we had our first group meeting! [ as you can see form above :) ]

The majority of the people assigned to my group were working on documentaries as well, so it allowed me to ask lots of questions and overall be very productive. 

I went first in taking about my questions and I talked about a lot of ideas with my classmates. I plan on doing the first five minutes of my doc as the extract for my portfolio project, so that’s means I have to plan out an opening to the actual “series”. I had an idea to use a bunch of old videos that Riley has of her playing sports as a kid to kind of develop her character in the doc and show a timeline of how long sports has been apart of her life.  However, after talking to some of the people in my group, I have officially learned that archived footage is not allowed to be used. But! Samy gave me a few ideas in order to keep this idea but loophole the “no archived footage”, like putting a bunch of photos on a fridge and filming it that way, which I thought was super creative. With that, I had mentioned I was having a problem with brainstorming b-roll to film for this specific piece. We came to the conclusion that I would need to probably stage a lot of my b-roll in order to get the specific things I had in mind, like a possible tutorial section with Riley teaching how to throw a football, as she is the quarterback in our school’s flag football team. 

I would take a similar approach to building my social media page content. With this being episodic, I had ideas to “continue” this doc by having other episodes for different kinds of roles present in sports: athlete (Riley), coach, fan, etc. However, if I can’t by any chance find people at least to capture for the idea to be present on my page, they suggested I make posts with objects that symbolize each role. For example, a potential post for coach could be a whistle on a desk. I thought this was super cool and plan on executing this idea. 

The last thing I talked about was my problem with creating a narrow structure for this extract. More specifically, what exactly I want for this piece to preach other than just expressing how much sports affects people’s lives emotionally. With my interview coming up, they told me to really focus on the creation of my interview questions. I can sort of manipulate the answers I want from Riley in order to fit the theme of this doc, so I want to go back and really develop the wording of my questions to kind of guide a specific style of responses form Riley. From there, I will take her answers and craft my first line sequence with it. 

I really felt a lot better after this meeting so I’m so excited to have another one soon. See you guys soon :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

  This documentary has been one of my favorite projects I have ever worked on. I have had experience working on film openings, music videos,...