Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Brainstorming the Opening

During the break, my dad and I binged the new documentary that was just released on Max called "Quiet on Set", having to deal with the emotional and physicals some child actors faced while working on the sets of network Nickelodeon. We basically watched all four episodes in one day. I really loved the production aspects ranging from the set to even the style of the b-roll used. Though the contents had absolutely no correlation with what I am currently working on, watching this series honestly gave me a good amount of ideas to implement into my project, more specifically, the opening

Since I will be producing the "first 5 minutes" of my said documentary episode, I have to create a kind of opening montage to introduce the actual series. The opening used for Quiet on Set, while being engaging and visually pleasing, was actually short and sweet. The series allowed for the actual story to do most of the work rather than having a long opening and title graphic. I really liked how this turned out and think it is perfect for my own project. The story being told is one that I find very engaging and entertaining, and I wouldn't want to waste any time, especially since the time I do have is only 5 minutes. 

This also really helps because my original idea was to do this cool, long intro involving a lot of old videos and photos of Riley playing sports ranging from all ages. Since I had found out about the "no archived footage" rule, I was kind of going blank on what I would replace it with. This I feel is the perfect substitution. 

To elaborate on my idea a little more, I am going to basically combine the two ideas in a way. I want to keep the little montage but also emphasize the little. I want a text graphic that overlays over a bunch of b-rolls I play on collecting Riley playing flag football, on and off the field. This text will slowly zoom in as the media will keep switching to something new every second. 


I had executed this kind of text graphic once before, but it was a good amount of time ago and I couldn't remember how to anymore. So, I searched for the effect and found a short tutorial on how to do it in Adobe Premiere Pro, the editing software plan on using. I can't really make one right now as I STILL have no title for this piece, but once I do and have some b-roll to put behind it, I will show you guys here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

  This documentary has been one of my favorite projects I have ever worked on. I have had experience working on film openings, music videos,...