Saturday, April 6, 2024

Locking in during post-production

rough draft of the line edit

timeline for intro

final editing sequence

Welcome to post-production! Definitely the most tedious of them all. I personally, however, love to edit as this is when I truly get a sense of the final product ahead. 

Once I had all my footage, I created a project in Adobe Premiere and imported all of my video clips. I created bins for everything I needed (interview clips, b-roll, audio, graphics) and started to organize it all. This allows me to edit more efficiently as I know exactly where everything is.

From there, I dragged all of my interview clips to the timeline, synced my second angle of the interview to my main audio, and started to cut out all the question clips, leaving only the answers from Riley. Using this, I rewatch all the clips, get rid of the unnecessary ones, label them by color based on the topic being discussed in the answer, and create my timeline. For example, all the yellow clips in the timeline above are when Riley was talking about Mr. Selvidge. 

Once I have a story structure from my interview clips, I go to Youtube to search for the best music to be  in the background of documentary and the intro. The intro was placed after Riley introduced in order to get a small introduction to the subject of the episode and her “role” she is representing before the rest of the documentary. I was kept relatively short in order to have most of the five minutes reserved for Riley content rather than having some long, elaborate intro that takes up time. 

Finally, once I added the music and intro to the timeline, I slowly went through the whole thing and placed my b-roll the best I could, based on what was being said by Riley in the audio. 

All I really have left is some cleanup of the timeline and adding some quick transitions. I want to get some critiques before I export so I might show it to a couple of friends and get some feedback. See you soon with some final products!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

  This documentary has been one of my favorite projects I have ever worked on. I have had experience working on film openings, music videos,...