Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Music Marketing Reflection

     Now that everything has wrapped up, I can confidently say that this project has definitely been my favorite activity of the class so far. From pre-production to post-production, everything about this project was extremely memorable in the best way possible. Since the first day we were assigned this project, I knew this would be a project I was going to have a lot of fun with and enjoy. It provided my group and I an outlet to be as creative as we wished while working with a medium I knew the smallest about, music. 

    Pre-production was by far my favorite part of this whole process. From the jump, my group was bouncing back and forth with such vibrant ideas. If anything, the only challenge we really had was narrowing everything down to one idea because everyone was so into it. The research expanded my knowledge of not only marketing and distribution but the music industry in general. The storyboarding allowed us to really break down the message of our music video and understand it on another level as we had to plan out every shot and make sure there was a purpose to the shots.

    Once we reached production time, we really understood how tedious this process can be. Originally, we separated 2 days in our schedule to dedicate to filming the music video, but once it came to actually filming, we realized how much that was an underestimate that was. We ended up having to use 4 days to film the music video, causing us to make changes to our schedule. One reason it took us so long to film our music video was the idea we decided to pursue. An instant theme we picked up on when listening to the song was isolation and loneliness, which was ironic because the song is upbeat for the most part. When it came to developing our brand when decided an artistic style music video fit best with what we wanted our brand and artist to represent. To convey this, our video consisted of graphic match shots of our main character over time. In all of these shots, as time would pass by, the character was completely alone. Filming these types of shots made our margin for error very slim, meaning each shot took a lot more time and tries than normal, as everything had to be perfect.

    Finally, once in post-production, half of our group worked on editing the music video while the other half conquered the presentation. Within our presentation, we talked about the aspects of our brand/artist, genre, target audience, and how we planned to market/distribute the content our artist released. Our research really helped us develop a solid plan as we had knowledge now of what strategies were successful. My group's presentation went amazing, as we all took the time to practice our slides and everyone put in the time to make it as good as it could be. It received amazing critiques from our teacher and fellow classmates.

    Now that the project is complete, I don't think I would really change much that happened. Even though I have learned things that I will definitely apply to my next project, there was nothing that really happened that impacted my group and our process in a negative way. Overall, this project was a great experience and resulted in great content I will always be proud of.

    



Part of our presentation

Link to music video:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

  This documentary has been one of my favorite projects I have ever worked on. I have had experience working on film openings, music videos,...